Friday, November 13, 2009


If I were to have ever written a monograph on Christology, I am sure it would have come out a lot like Simon J. Gathercole's The Preexistent Son: Recovering the Christologies of Matthew Mark and Luke in many respects. That said, I am grateful yet a bit annoyed (but probably not as annoyed as James Dunn). Maybe no one will notice a work that looks a lot like his?

I think I may owe a bit of an explanatory note as to the fact that my posts haven't touched on anything serious for at least a month. Simply put, I have been busy with other academic things. Namely, things I find not as interesting as biblical studies  - like ancient Egyptian religion, Christian interaction with the neoplatonists and the Hellenistic Period. One must never lose touch with good old historical method!

By December I will hope to send something interesting out. Probably starting with something boring such as the importance of understanding physical manuscripts as early Christian artifacts with the power to help us understand Christian diversity! Or identifying Christian scribal traditions in cosmopolitan ancient Egypt! I don't know, I am sure most people won't find it interesting but having contact with faculty from the Documentary Research Centre really has ruined me.

2 comments:

  1. It's funny, I really like Simon Gathercole as a person (we knew each other when we were both at Durham), but I can't think of anything he's written that I've found persuasive. And so be warned, if you write a book like his, you can expect me to offer a critique of it at some point! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, that's great to know. Just don't be as harsh as Dunn appears to have been then! Of course, I do have my reservations throughout the book but I did rather like it.

    ReplyDelete