Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Update of Reading List


I am still slowly making my way through Jesus and the Eyewitnesses (Bauckham)and How on Earth Did Jesus become a God (Hurtado) - well, more so that latter at this stage. I guess the book is just...a lot smaller? (I really do run out of room in my bag!)

Anyway, Hurtado has provoked some thought towards Christology, so, today I grabbed a copy of Ben Witherington's The Many Faces of the Christ. What really is of interest to me is pre-Pauline Christology - however, how do we find pre-Paauline Christology? Do we turn to the hymns such as Philippians 2:6-11 and assume it came from a pre-Pauline source? (I guess with other creeds such as 1 Cor 15.3-11 we have the whole "what I received" comment as well as the underlying Hebrew-Aramaic rhythm [see. P.J. Kearney He Appeared to 500 brothers (1 Cor. XV 6)]).

Anyway, according to a review on Amazon Witherington challenges an idea (probably one of fiction? Who really argues it these days?) that Christology did not necessarily develop over time. This is wholeheartedly true - although John demonstrates clear high Christology - it is easily matched by our earliest NT documents which pre-date John by almost half a century.

No comments:

Post a Comment