Thursday, June 17, 2010

James McGrath Reviews "Did The First Christians Worship Jesus?"

James has "reviewed" James D.G. Dunn's Did the First Christians Worship Jesus? And it comes with its very own disclaimer:

I probably should preface this post with a disclaimer that this should not be thought of as your typical review. I studied for my PhD under Jimmy Dunn. He is my Doktorvater, mentor and friend.... I also had a chance to read an earlier draft of Did The First Christians Worship Jesus? a couple of years ago and to discuss it with Jimmy and another of his former students. And when my copy of the published book arrived, I found that my own recent book on monotheism and Christology (The Only True God: Early Christian Monotheism in Its Jewish Context) was cited in the notes on numerous occasions. And so I make no claim to being an "impartial observer" but am rather an engaged participant in the ongoing conversation about monotheism, Christology, and worship that encompasses Jimmy, many of his former students, and a wider community of scholars as well as many others interested in the subject.
Diglot earlier reviewed the book here. As I have said earlier, I am intentionally avoiding this book until I have the time so second hand reviews will have to do me. That said, at this stage I do remain to be convinced by Dunn's earlier work (I believe I'm more of a Bauckham man).

On a final note, the book isn't overpriced!

No comments:

Post a Comment