I just got back from the debate between Dr Chris Forbes and Dan Barker on the historicity of Jesus. My oh my, it was funny!
1. Copied from Pagan Gods.
- Barker: Jesus was "cut from the same cloth" as every other Greaco-Roman God-Man. Like all these over deities/heroes *insert name here of any character you have heard of*, Jesus was born of a virgin, had followers, died at the hands of the political elite, physically rose again and ascended into heaven.
- Forbes: Do you have any examples of this?
- Barker: Many.
- Forbes: Who?
- Barker: Others.
- Barker: There is no evidence for Jesus' life outside of the NT in the first century.
- Forbes: Firstly, the NT sources should count as evidence - but there are sources like Josephus. Although the larger passage shows evidence of later Christian changes.
- Barker: So Christians were manufacturing evidence for Jesus as you yourself admit!
- Barker: (In revisiting the evidence outside the NT). Philo doesn't mention anything about Jesus.
- Forbes: Philo was not a historian nor was he writing a history, and I can't see why him not mentioning an obscure figure works against his historicity...
- Barker: He was Philo the Judaean.
- Forbes: Yes, but he was from Alexandria. Have you read Philo?
- Barker: Very little...I rely on secondary scholarship.